Who we are
Trading Standards is a team within the Consumer Protection and Standards branch of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) Hīkina Whakatutuki.
Our role as a regulator means we're responsible for protecting New Zealand consumers by keeping our marketplace free from non-compliant products and services. We do this in the following ways:
- making sure New Zealanders have accurate measurement and quality fuel
- administering and maintaining the occupational licencing registers for motor vehicle traders, auctioneers and pool inspectors.
Our core audience is business, but we also work alongside Consumer Protection, the consumer-facing team within the Consumer Protection and Standards branch of MBIE.
Areas of responsibility
We have 5 areas of responsibility, which fall into 2 main categories:
- trade measurement (accurate weights and measures for trade), and
- fuel quality monitoring.
- Administering and maintaining the following occupational licencing registers:
- Motor vehicle traders
- Independently qualified pool inspectors.